June 3, 2021
If you’re anything like me, you go through a lot of hummus. It’s a great high protein snack that can be enjoyed with pita chips, veggies, a spread for sandwiches or even as a base for a salad dressing or pasta sauce.
Opting for the pre-packaged store brands can be costly and if you take a peek at the label many of them contain oils that are inflammatory like canola oil. I never considered that just making it from scratch could be so easy and cost-effective! It is a staple in my fridge and a great healthy snack or crowd-pleaser to reach for in a pinch.
Preparing your own is also great as you are able to tweak certain ingredients and customize it to taste. You could also create variations by adding ingredients like:
- Roasted garlic
- Kalamata olives
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Roasted red peppers
- Caramelized onions
The following is basically a base recipe to which other ingredients can be added. There are so many variations so get creative!
Creamy Homemade Hummus
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 tbsp cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2-4 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 ice cubes
- Fresh parsley
- Boil the chickpeas with baking soda for about 15-20 minutes.
- Strain chickpeas, once cool remove skins (don’t worry too much about removing all of the skins, your hummus will still come out super creamy after boiling)
- Add chickpeas to a blender or food processor along with tahini, olive oil, lemon, sea salt and garlic.
- Add 2-3 ice cubes and use cold water as needed to assist with blending. Trust me, the ice is really going to help with texture!
- Blend until smooth. Serve with an additional drizzle of olive oil, paprika and fresh parsley.