May 31, 2019
Nothing gets me more excited to get out of bed than a delicious breakfast. Though my mornings usually consist of a smoothie or oatmeal, this is my go-to recipe for when I want to spice things up a bit. I have recently been trying to up my protein intake, and boy does this recipe ever help! This scramble provides a whopping 32g of plant-based protein per serving! Always a great option to keep you feeling full and satiated all morning. Of course, try to use as many organic ingredients as possible.
Latin-Inspired Tofu Scramble
(Makes 2 servings)
- 1 block organic extra-firm tofu
- ½ cup Spanish onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp vegetable broth
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- ½ small green bell pepper, diced
- ⅔ cup cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- Pink Himalayan salt + pepper to taste
- A handful of diced green onion (optional)
- Press tofu to remove excess water, then crumble into large chunks in a large mixing bowl. These will break into smaller chunks during the cooking process.
- Add all seasonings to the bowl, and toss the tofu until evenly coated.
- Warm a large skillet over medium/high heat, and add the tofu. Spread the tofu evenly in the pan, and allow it to cook for about 5 minutes (or until a light golden brown) before flipping.
- While the tofu is cooking, warm a separate skillet over medium heat, and add the garlic, onion, and vegetable broth. Add more broth if needed to prevent the veggies from sticking (I use this in place of oil, which also adds a nice flavour!). Cook until onions are transparent, then add the bell peppers and mushrooms. Sauté until softened.
- Check that the tofu is evenly cooked, allowing all sides to form a bit of crispiness. Once cooked, add the vegetables into the tofu pan, and stir to combine. Lastly, add the spinach and fold into the mixture until softened.
- Top with green onions, salt, and pepper. Enjoy!
Serve with your favourite salsa, lime wedge, and whole grain toast for a delicious breakfast!